An English speaker’s perspective

Discover Spanish With Us


» by in: Verbs

Tonight we went Christmas caroling. One of the songs says “henchidos de amor.” The word henchir is to fill up or to stuff, inflate. This phrase is in the song O Come, All Ye Faithful or Venid, Fieles Todos.

I don’t know if the usage would be a physical swelling of something or just figurative. In this song it is figurative saying that the faithful going to see the baby Jesus are stuffed with love. Would the same word be used when my knee swells up after an injury?

Interestingly, there is a word hinchar. It seems to mean the same thing.

  • 1

    I had never heard of the word “henchir” could it possibly be used only in certain countries? I have heard of “hinchar”, though… and in that carol I guess you could replace “henchidos” with “llenos”.
    Happy Holidays!

    Open English on December 18th, 2007
  • 2

    I don’t know where one might be used over another. I have not seen any geographical distinction mentioned in the places where I have looked up the word. Nor have I even thought to ask my friends here (Mexico) if they even know what the word means.

    It is interesting you mention ‘henchidos’ could be replaced with ‘llenos.’ We work with the Deaf and just used the sign for ‘lleno’ when we signed the song.

    David on December 19th, 2007


RSS feed for comments on this post | TrackBack URI